As per the international guidelines, management of chronic respiratory disease like COPD & Asthma requires integrated multidisciplinary approach other than the regular medications. This program is known as ‘Rehabilitation’. Every COPD Pt. needs rehabilitation as a part of treatment and every hospital should have such facility.
It is recent addition to Pulmonology dept at KRIMS Hospital and regularly implemented twice a week for all Chronic Respiratory patients particularly in COPD, Chronic Br.Asthma & ILD.
Pulmonary rehabilitation focused on exercises related to breathing, endurance, flexibility, muscle strengthening, and airway clearance technique & energy conservation.
It also takes care of patient education, nutrition, sleep, depression, social support & psychological counseling. Duration of the program is 6-8 weeks in which above training and support is given to the patients. It helps to optimize physical & social performance and autonomy.
Till date 20-25 patients are enrolled this rehabilitation program.
Principle goals –
- Reduce symptoms & disability.
- Improves health related quality of life.
- Improves functional independence.
- Improves range of everyday activities.
- Increase physical, social & emotional wellbeing.
Rehabilitation Team –
- Patients & Relatives
- Social Workers
Duration of Program – 6-8 weeks.( twice in a week for 1 hr.)
- Individual Assessment.(6MWT)
- Patient Education. (Audiovisual, Proper inhalation tech.)
- Breathing Exercises.
- Airway Clearance techniques.
- Exercise Training & Diet Chart.
Rehabilitation program is very helpful to all chronic respiratory patients along with their medication. It also helps in the following ways.
- Deceases Symptoms (dyspnea)
- Improves quality of Life
- Increases exercise tolerance
- Improves psychological wellbeingness.
- Improves independence.
- Overall improvement in health.
- Decreased hospitalization.
COPD & Asthma guidance Clinic –
- Every Tuesday – 9-10 am
- Through this clinic Information, Education, disease control, proper medication technique & social guidance is given to the patients.
- Any patient can register for this free of charge.
COPD & Asthma Rehabilitation program –
- Twice a week – for all Chronic Respiratory patients.
- A patient has to enroll for this program.
Program Director – Dr. Sameer Arbat
Program Incharge – Dr. Lajwanti Lalwani